Decluttering!!!!

Posted by Cent With Love | 1:44 PM | , , | 3 comments »

Despite being a virgo, I am NOT an organized person. I'm getting better with some things, especially my money, but clutter and junk still take over my life and our home. This drives DH crazy (he could probably fit the contents of our home in our tiny bathroom with his organizational skills), and I admit, it drives me crazy, too. But, I'm an all-or-nothing type of person, and usually the nothing side of me prevails. I get these grand ideas, then realize the work, or worse - the money! - that it would take to complete the project, and it fizzles away fast.


Since I've been on a Debt Diet, very few new items have been coming into our home, with the exception of new toys, but the toy issue in our home is a completely separate issue that I can't even wrap my head around. I need to deal with my personal disasters first, feel the accomplishment, then move onto the rest of the house. I need to simplify what I already have. I need to sort, purge, and organize the remains. Ok, ok, I know all this, let's get started. Let's start with my desk!

Hear the screeching? That's me and my enthusiasm coming to a sudden stop.

I don't know where or how to get started. Yes, I know what I'm supposed to be doing, I know the steps, but I just can't seem to actually do them. As far as I can tell, here are the reasons why:
  1. I'm an out-of-sight-out-of-mind type of person. I fear that if I get rid of something or if it's not in my immediate field of view, the memory of it is gone forever. I have a feeling that possibly purging all of the things I don't use and giving each of the items I want to keep their own home, then it will be easier to see/find them and keep them within sight, so to speak. Okay, so just purge all the junk...

  2. I'd purge, but I have attachment/sentimental reasons for keeping a lot of things. How do I decide what to keep and what to toss?

  3. Being frugal makes it very difficult to part with items that I paid good money for in my previous spendy ways. I think I can overcome this one, though. I can donate, which makes me feel okay about letting it go. I can sell, which takes time and can be worth it, which is exemplified by my half.com booksales this past month ($68). One thing I just read was to ask the question: am I getting my money's worth out of these items? If not, then it's time to let them go.

So, as I said, I'm starting with my desk. When my desk is cleared, my brain has less clutter and I get more things done. Seeing as my desk probably hasn't seen more than a clear hour in the past five years, I'd say I haven't gotten too much accomplished. Ha! I guess I need to stop chatting and get doing. I am taking a "before" photo, but I'm not showing it...yet. When I get a good "after" photo, I will definitely show the "before".

Wish me luck! And if you can offer any advice, please leave it in comments!


3 comments

  1. RTC // January 22, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

    Good luck with the decluttering! I, too, am an out of sight out of mind person. If you find any good organizing tips for people like us, let me know! I read somewhere that baskets, rather than files work best for people like us.

  2. Anonymous // January 22, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

    LOL! I want to see the before photo! Okay, you have the wrong info about Virgo's (since I share that trait). We are very efficient at being Chaotically Organized! I know where everything is even though it looks messy. If you clean my desk for me... you made me a sad person cuz I won't be able to find anything! lol!

    I still have tax forms from the 90s. I only save the best drawings from my daughter's school (and a tad bit more). I say, just get another file cabinet and stuff it in the garage like we do! Then, our desk is not soo messy. ;)

  3. Cent With Love // January 22, 2009 at 11:27 PM  

    RTC - I will let you know what I come up with. Something tells me that I'm completely the wrong person to ask. I've hit a brick wall. :/

    Money Funk - "very efficient at being Chaotically Organized" - LOL, then I'm a true Virgo!! It's like fighting a never-ending battle with myself. I made some decent progress today, and I'm trying to let go of things, but there's just too much stuff!!! I really, really need to clean my junk from the basement - lots and lots of junk! Then, I'll be able to get the toys out of my office (for the most part) and down there. The only problem is that it's freezing down there and no use as a play area right now.